Hampton University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificates and degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, master's, education specialist, professional, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Hampton University. The Commission requests that it be contacted only if there is evidence that appears to support an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. The University is also approved by the State Council of Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV). The University holds membership in the Council of Graduate Schools, the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia, and the American Council on Education.
In addition, Hampton University (its undergraduate and/or graduate colleges) is accredited or approved by the following bodies:
- The School of Business' business programs are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE).
- The School of Engineering & Technology's architecture program is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
- The School of Engineering & Technology's aviation programs are accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International.
- The School of Engineering & Technology's electrical engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org
- The School of Engineering & Technology's chemical engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET,http://www.abet.org
- The School of Liberal Arts & Education's music programs are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- The baccalaureate programs on Hampton University main campus and College of Virginia Beach has full approval by the Virginia State Board of Nursing.
- The baccalaureate degree programs in nursing and the master's degree programs in nursing at Hampton University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791.
- The School of Nursing is also an agency member of the National League for Nursing, the Nursing Council of the Southern Regional Education Board, and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
- The School of Pharmacy's program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE).
- The School of Science's computer science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of the Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- The School of Science's chemistry program is approved by the Committee on Professional Training (CPT) of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
- The School of Science's communicative sciences and disorders' graduate program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
- The School of Science's physical therapy program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE).
- The Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC).
- The School of Liberal Arts and Education's teacher education programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Third-Party Comment on Accreditation of Teacher Education Program Click here for document.
- The School of Liberal Arts and Education's counseling programs are accredited by the Council of Accredited Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP).